Sunday, August 23, 2026

8 years and 4 months

It has been eight years and four months since I first officially reported having muscle weakness. July and August were rough. So rough that I haven’t blogged since July 16th. I had my muscle neurology check in on August 27th. Those happen four or two times a year with my muscular neurologist. My specialist. The captain of the “A Team.” (What I call my very long list of medical professionals.) She is part of the UC Davis PM&R Clinic. “Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.” She sees patients with muscular disorders and diseases.

But I digress.

I saw her on August 27th. I hadn’t been since December. Since then two things had worsened. My right ankle/Achilles and my breathing. I let her know in December and the appointment before that one that my breathing felt like it was becoming more of an issue. I could feel myself struggling most at night and in altitude change. Or pressure change (the weather or in the pool.) This time I really stressed that it was feeling worse and she had me evaluated by the departmental pulmonologist. It had been two years since I’d had a full evaluation.


Breaking out the ol' nebulizer

She found that my lung capacity and oxygen levels were still good. But my muscle strength (diaphragm muscles especially) had weakened substantially. They measured at about 85% worse than two years ago. It’s bad enough that she’s ordering a new sleep study for me and another “Cough Assist” machine. I hate that fucking thing.

Right after that appointment the air pressure shifted dramatically and I had gigantic issues breathing at night. I contemplated going to the ER, it was so bad. My mom bought me some wedge pillows that helped a lot. I slept very elevated and used my nebulizer machine twice a day. That kept me out of the hospital.

Hang in there girl!

I called and messaged the Pulmonologist to let her know I was struggling so bad and that it seemed connected to the air pressure shift. Her response was “Huh, that’s strange. I’ve never seen that before. I’ll let the doctor know. You already have your referral for the sleep clinic.” In short. “HANG IN THERE KITTY!” That felt very dismissive and shitty. And despite my multiple calls since, I’m still waiting on the sleep clinic to even schedule me for my sleep study.


Beautiful flowers from a friend
Worth living for

My ankle will require a custom made orthotic. An ankle brace since my ankle is unstable both ways and over-pronating. That means my Achilles keeps stretching out of place and re-injuring. Which is why it has hurt for almost a year now. Fuuuuuuuck… So a new custom ankle brace for that and new foot and leg brace for the drop foot (which I still have on the same leg.) Fortunately my left side is fine. Some good news.


Oh good Goddess
PANCAKES with my mom!
Worth living for
Absolutely

UC Davis is becoming shittier and shittier. The wait time for anything is 3-6 months. Next week I’m seeing the Immunologist. Something I’ve been trying to do for a year. I had to see my PCP twice, my muscular neurologist once and a Rheumatologist before they’d send me to him. What a huge mess. After that is the ENT. I’m seeing them for my continued right ear blockage that seems to be neurologically based. The nerve gets irritated and then my Eustachian tube blocks. Wheeeeeee…

Also coming up is my pain injection in my Achillies, followed closely by Botox round two. It took me eight months to get my Botox back. Jeeeeeesus H Christ…

On the good news side. My new migraine neurologist is someone I like and have seen before long ago. I’m seeing him in November. And my new anti-seizure medication (brivaracetam 25 mg tablet, commonly known as Briviact) seems to be working with few side effects. Dizziness and urinary retention only. I haven’t wanted to kill myself (yet) so I call that a win. Horraaayyyyyyy…

I’m displeased. Sad about how my body is taking a turn. I’m using my chair more and more despite going to the gym and trying to walk as much as I can. Everything seems to set my body off. I had a crown re-done at the dentist a week ago and have had nothing but pain and bruising since. The kind of pain that keeps me up at night. Most of the night.

But here’s some good things.

I always have a great time with my mom, John and my sisters. Max and Margo keep me smiling, laughing and company, even when I’m in bed. Ice cream Sundays and delicious sandwiches are still to be had. I have beautiful clothes to wear. I’ve seen some astonishing nature lately. Deer, a raven, a vulture eating road kill and a massive thresher shark breaching. The swimming pool feels amazing. I got to go to the beach the other week. Just hearing the waves and smelling the air was cathartic.

My drawing of the beach

My son loves me and gives me hugs. I have a good friend coming down to visit from Texas in September. I still beat my husband at games. Summer is almost over and I can smell autumn in the air. My favorite time of year. My 32nd wedding anniversary is coming up. That seems hard to believe that we’ve been married for so long.


Saw some "Glossy Ibis" with my mama
I love seeing new things

Although it’s easy to feel angry and overwhelmed by my health and what I “can’t do.” There’s still plenty that I can do and that I GET TO DO. I can’t forget that.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

8 years and 4 months

It has been eight years and four months since I first officially reported having muscle weakness. July and August were rough. So rough that ...